The new Hugo 2 can be used as both a portable headphone amp/DAC as well as a reference-level source component in a home stereo system. It brings the renowned digital audio expertise of Chord Electronics to serious headphone listening, enabling users to experience a world of super-high-resolution music via their headphones.
In 2014, Chord Electronics introduced Hugo, a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled Chord to introduce a next-generation version, Hugo 2, with flexible new features plus next-generation technical and sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used both at home and on-the-go, either with headphones or within a conventional audio system. Its line-level output and full-function remote control adds real flexibility for full-size and desktop systems.
Hugo 2 offers four digital inputs: optical, coaxial, HD USB and extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include one pair of RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions.
Battery playing time is approximately seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
Hugo 2 Features:
- Improved ease of use for both home and on-the-go applications.
- Full-function remote control.
- Plays all file formats including advanced PCM, 768kHz and DSD512, (8x Native).
- Includes Chord's latest award-winning proprietary FPGA state-of-the-art DAC technology.
- Reference-class amplifier effortlessly drives the most demanding high-end headphones.
- Seven hours continuous playing time on the included NiCad re-chargeable batteries.
- Four digital inputs including extended-range Apt-X Bluetooth.
- One mini-jack and one 1/4" headphone output.
- One set of RCA outputs so you can also use Hugo’s reference-quality DAC in your home stereo.
- Completely self-contained; delivers top performance without the need for an external power supply.
- Advanced digital volume control does not lose bits so you receive absolutely superior sound quality.
- Tap length filter: 49,152, ten element Pulse Array design.
- Advanced power saving mode.
- Four user-selectable frequency shaping filter settings.
- Built to last; Hugo 2’s casework is precision-machined from aircraft grade aluminum.
- Available in silver or black.
There isn't another DAC around at anywhere near this sort of price able to communicate so torrentially, so unambiguously or so effortlessly. We like it a lot.What Hi-Fi?, June 2017, Winner Best DAC £1,000+
This is a very formidable digital-to-analog converter. The presentation was spacious, detailed, lively and vivid. While it might be portable, it sure as heck doesn't sound that way, and it certainly has the wherewithal to go toe-to-toe with the big boys. In addition to its ability to punch far above its weight class sonically, the Hugo 2 is bursting with options, offering well-designed filters and crossfeed settings that allow you to tune the device to your preference. For those who prize stunning levels of detail and first-class versatility, the Hugo 2 can deliver in very impressive fashion.enjoythemusic.com, August 2017
Optional Case for Hugo 2